Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Worst thing about being Unemployed

Being unemployed ceases to be fun at precisely the point in time when you have no more money and no means by which to get any money anytime soon. (Not that it was ever "fun" in the first place, but prior to this event, it kind of feels like an unplanned vacation.) That however, is not nearly the worst part of being unemployed. It is indeed true that money does not buy happiness and this instance is no different. Sure, money can grease the skids a little for you in that never ending pursuit of said happiness, but in the grand scheme of things it is merely a means to that end and not the end itself. As I was sitting here staring at the wall, it occurred to me that I had been doing so for at least the last 20 minutes or more. I had been trying to figure out what was the worst thing about being amongst the ranks of the unemployed. What a positively constructive pursuit that is, right? After all, armed with that information I'll be able do what? No one is eagerly awaiting my thoughts on the matter. Coming to such a determination would not bring me fame, nor fortune. On the heels of this discovery, you would not find me embarking upon a speaking tour to enlighten the masses. No, there is but a single positive destination for this train of thought to move toward. That positive, my friends, is that I am moved to write.

Over the course of the next few essays (or ramblings), we'll explore what has turned out to be a seemingly never ending source of rumination.

No comments: